Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Mini Banner

In the spirit of the holidays, I decided to make a decoration for Thanksgiving. I decided to make a mini banner. This is the first time I've ever attempted a banner and I'm really satisfied with how it turned out!!


First I started off with my Gypsy (makes projects so much easier!) and chose the basic shape for the banner pieces. I chose this shape from the Cricut Essentials cartridge and set the size at 3 inches. I made enough for each of the letters in Thanksgiving. Next I chose the lettering. I went with the Storybook cartridge font and set the size at 2 inches and centered the letters within the banner pieces (as shown in the photo). 


I cut the top layer in a light brown and the base layer in a darker brown. After I made the cuts, I ran the top layers through my Cuttlebug in the D'vine Swirls embossing folder.


I used my Tombow mono adhesive to stick the top and base layers together.


Next I punched holes on each side of the banner pieces. I used my Crop-A-Dile to do this and used the 1/8 inch punch.


After I got all the holes punched, I attached eyelets in each hole. Again, this was done with the Crop-A-Dile, the C side on the top and 3 on the base. I used Recollections eyelets from the Metallic mix.


After I got all the eyelets attached, I inked around the edges. I used Memento Dew Drop ink in Rich Cocoa.


Then I tied each of the banner pieces together. I used Naturals bamboo cord (from the jewelry department at Michael's).



 After I got all the pieces tied together, I decided I needed to add some color to the project. So I decided to make flowers to go at each end of the banner. I used the Flower Shoppe cartridge (another one of my absolute favorites!). I cut the flower shapes at 2.75 inches.


Before putting the flowers together, I inked over them. I used Memento Dew Drop inks again. On the orange I used Potters Clay, on the red I used Rhubarb Stalk, and on the yellow I used Cantaloupe. I used a quilling tool to get a nice tight wrap on the center piece of the flower. I used hot glue to put the flowers together and to adhere them to banner pieces.


And here is the finished product!! Like I said at the beginning, I am VERY satisfied with how this turned out! 


I'm so glad I decided to try making a banner. I wasn't sure if it would be very easy or not, but it was! It was just somewhat time consuming. I think I will be doing another mini banner for Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE this!! Your banner is absolutely wonderful and so festive! Great job on the flowers! Thanks for such a great tutorial! Now I can make one for our home!! I love my Gypsy too - it DOES make everything easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this banner! The flowers are super pretty and I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete